Saturday, January 14, 2023

Week 2 - Self Formal Introductory Letter

 Dear Professor Blackstone,


My name is Lim Wan Chung. I am writing this letter to introduce myself. Unlikely most of my course mate whose beginning their interest in engineering field since their school days or some even was already embarked by their growing background since childhood days. I only getting slow and more interest into engineering field after I start to work. The interest and love into Civil Engineering was accumulated only along the days.

I loves Mathematics since I am still a child. The first reason lead me choosing the Civil Engineering course in my Diploma study which completed in Malaysia just simply because I found that only Civil Engineering course structures having the most subjects involving in Mathematics and calculation. 

I had been worked in Singapore for years after graduated from my Diploma In Civil Engineering as a draftman, project coordinator, assistant engineer, site supervisor etc. During my working days, I had continued my studying and managed to complete the Mass Communication in Advanced Diploma with MDIS, also getting my Degree Cert in Construction Project Management with Heriot-Watt University.

The career path being changed after the graduation mentioned above. I had started to work on freelance and project basis with few associate consultant and construction firm as their Project Manager/ Consultant. The further studying while still working making me the clearer picture on who am I, and what do I wish to achieve further in my career life.  I hope I can see the more 'impossible' building will being built in their possible ways with the more advances in engineering/technology field around the world. 

Personality, I am a sporty man. I had been exploring all kind of sports eg. hiking, running, cycling, diving etc. I love hiking the most and used to hike at least once in a year before Covid time. To make up my hiking trip, i had trained my fitness and stamina with routine and regular jogging, as well as monthly off road cycling. It accompanied with few completion in Half and Full Marathon through out the years.  I felt proud with the achievement in hiking to Everest Base Camp, Mount Kota Kinabalu, Indonesia's Mount Rinjani,  and quite a few lots mountains in Malaysia too. During hiking time, every single walk and step make up the final achievement to reach up the hill top. I found it's quite similar in building's history. Peoples start to build a single storey's building more than a decade's back. But today the highest building in the world named as Burj Khalifa which located at Dubai is built at about 828m high consist of 162 floors. 

Perhaps the most advantage for me to enroll with this course is my related working background and experience in the industry. However, I do wish that this will not become a kerb stopping me from keep learning and improving myself. I really feel enjoying coming back to school again and studying together with all the lovely and kindness peers and professors. There are so much fun things to learn and re-learn again!

With not having English as my mother tongue language,  I am having difficulties to express my writing in a formal and influent English. Though how I wish if all things can be expressed in point format may make my study life much more easier. Especially I find out there are a lot of reading, thinking, expression required in this module. It's a challenge to me but I hope to encounter this shortage during my further studying days.

Lastly but not least, I am glad to have this module in this trimester. 

Thank you for being our module Professor. 


Yours Sincerely, 

Wan Chung


7 comments:

  1. Hello Wan Chung! Your organisation of your points are well thought out, and you managed to cover majority the points you needed to write about in the report. In the first paragraph, you wrote that "most of my course mate whose beginning their interest in engineering field since their school days or some even was already embarked by their growing background since childhood days.". Instead, you could rephrase it by writing "The majority of my course mates started showing interest in the engineering sector during their school years, and some even had a growing background from their early years." Besides that, I find your letter easy to understand, and I hope this module helps you in refining your weakness! Thank you for sharing about yourself, and I look forward to future blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halo Kiran, thanks for your guidance on the rephrasing of sentence.. It sounds better to me. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Wan Chung, there is a good link between your love for mathematics and your decision to major in civil engineering. It is interesting to know that you are a sporty person who enjoys all kinds of sports. From your letter, I understand that English is not your first language and therefore, you are not able to express yourself in formal and fluent English. This would explain the grammatical and punctuation mistakes in your letter. Also, you could discuss more on your strength and weakness for the reader to get a better understanding about you. Nevertheless, I was able to understand what you were trying to convey and the letter has good flow. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Wan Chung, your message have a good flow and interesting topics to share about which enables me to learn more about you through this letter. For your letter, it would be better if you were to include more punctuation such as commas or full stops as some of your sentence are lengthy. Other than that, I am able to understand it and find it detailed and complete. Thank you for sharing more about yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leyi. Thank you for your comments. It's good reminder to me for not become a long winded woman.. hahaha

      Delete
  5. Dear Wan Chung,

    What a fascinating letter this is! You do a fine job covering the various points from the assignment brief and providing details to illustrate. It's enriching for all of us readers to learn so much about you, be that your love of learning, the in-depth job experience you have or your interest and experience hiking and climbing mountains. (I've climbed Kinabalu and hiked in the area of K2, one of the tallest mountains in the world, so I deeply envy your experience in the neighborhood of Everest!)

    You have so much to offer your coursemates in terms of learning from both work and life experience. I hope we can see more of you in class and hear more from you.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Prof Brad, happy to hear that you are also a mountain's lover. K2 also one of my basket list definitely to do in a day hopefully soon. It's enjoying to learn with all the fellow group mates and you in this module. We will definitely learn from each other and being filled with more after the module.

      Delete

Critical thinking reflection

  When I first received the notification email of the module intake for this trimester, I was wondering why do we need to take a module name...